PM William H. Tillman (aka Father Tillman) was the second founding Pastor of Wheat Street Baptist Church and was instrumental in having the church built on Wheat Street (now Auburn Ave). Under, PM William H. Tillman’s leadership he grew the membership of Wheat Street Baptist Church, and a new church was constructed at the corner of Fort Street and Old Wheat Street near Auburn Avenue.
PM William Tillman also helped organize the church the “House of Hope Atlanta” in May 1876, which still flourishes under the leadership of Pastor Dr. E. Dewey Smith, Jr.
FIRST WORSHIPFUL MASTER
On December 30, 1887, a charter was granted to Tillman Lodge #19 under the hand and seal of the Most Worshipful Grand Master John D. Campbell, and PM William H. Tillman was the first Worshipful Master. Because tradition would dictate that a Lodge cannot be named after a living person, two years after Tillman Lodge #19 was chartered; a petition was made for a new charter with a new name to the Most Worshipful Union Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons for the State of Georgia (held in the Masonic Hall, N. Broad St, Atlanta, Ga. July 1st thru July 4th, 1889).